Careless Driving and Reckless Driving in New Mexico
Attorney Glenn Smith Valdez is the lawyer you need when you are facing careless driving or reckless driving charges in New Mexico.
If you have been ticketed for Careless Driving or Reckless Driving in New Mexico, Call 505.877.8787 immediately. Careless Driving and Reckless Driving are two of the most serious traffic offenses in New Mexico. In New Mexico, Careless Driving and Reckless Driving penalties include jail time. Don’t take a chance with your New Mexico Careless Driving or Reckless Driving ticket! Put a great traffic lawyer to work on your New Mexico Careless Driving or New Mexico Reckless Driving charge today!
Many out of state drivers and commercial drivers (CDL) are charged with Careless Driving or Reckless Driving in New Mexico. Often these charges are the result of accidents, drivers falling asleep at the wheel, single car crashes or other similar behavior. Many times, we have represented drivers charged with careless driving in New Mexico for simply sliding as a result of icy or snow covered roads. If you have been ticketed for Careless Driving in New Mexico call 505.877.8787 today. We have successfully represented countless drivers, including many out of state and commercial drivers unfairly cited for careless driving.Commercial Drivers – Don’t Risk your Job – Fight Your New Mexico Careless Driving Citation
Commercial (CDL) Drivers are often targeted by police in New Mexico. Many times, when a CDL driver explains to an Officer that they did not see a speed limit sign or a weigh station sign, Police will ticket the CDL driver for Careless Driving! If you are a professional driver and have been ticketed for Careless Driving in New Mexico, call 505.877.8787 and get New Mexico’s top rated, most experienced traffic ticket lawyer to work on your case immediately.What makes Careless Driving and Reckless Driving charges more serious?
In New Mexico most traffic violations are penalty assessments – that is they are punishable by a fine. Careless Driving and Reckless Driving are traffic misdemeanors – meaning that in addition to fines and court costs – those charged with Careless or Reckless Driving face possible jail time.Jail Time? For a Traffic Ticket?
Yes, in New Mexico many traffic violations carry possible jail sentences. Just a few examples are:
- Careless Driving
- Reckless Driving
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- DWI DUI
- Driving While Suspended
- Driving While Revoked
In New Mexico Careless Driving carries a possible 90 day jail sentence.
New Mexico Reckless Driving tickets carry not only a possible 90 days in jail but also a mandatory 5 day jail Sentence.Why are Careless and Reckless Driving Penalties so harsh?
For the most part, the penalties are based on the danger created by careless or reckless behavior. Additionally, penalties are higher for careless and reckless driving because of the intent required for the two offenses. For most traffic violations – there is no intent required, they are “Strict Liability” offenses – it doesn’t matter if you meant to speed or your speedometer was wrong – under the law both are punished the same. Careless or Reckless Driving both require an intent to commit the offense that justifies a harsh penalty.What does that mean? What is the difference between Careless and Reckless driving in New Mexico?
The difference in penalties is related to the difference in intent. Careless Driving is careless, inattentive or imprudent, while Reckless Driving is willful and wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others:
§ 66-8-114 Careless Driving
- Any person operating a vehicle on the highway shall give his full time and entire attention to the operation of the vehicle.
- Any person who operates a vehicle in a careless, inattentive or imprudent matter, without due regard for the width, grade, curves, corners, traffic, weather and road conditions and all other attendant circumstances is guilty of a misdemeanor.
§ 66-8-113 Reckless Driving
- Any person who drives any vehicle carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others and without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or likely to endanger any person or property is guilty of reckless driving.
- Every person convicted of reckless driving shall be punished, notwithstanding the provisions of Section 31-18-13 NMSA 1978, upon a first conviction by imprisonment for not less than five days nor more than ninety days, or by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100), or both and on a second or subsequent conviction by imprisonment for not less than ten days nor more than six months, or by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or both.
- Upon conviction of violation of this section, the director may suspend the license or permit to drive and any nonresident operating privilege for not to exceed ninety days.
The decision to hire a lawyer is an important one but hiring a New Mexico Traffic Lawyer for your New Mexico Carless Driving or Reckless driving citation is probably in your interest. And while whether or not to hire a lawyer is a big decision, even more important is WHICH traffic ticket lawyer to hire. Hiring Glenn Smith Valdez, New Mexico’s top rated, most experienced traffic lawyer for your Careless Driving or Reckless Driving charge is the smartest and best possible decision. Remember not only do these charges carry big fines and possible jail time but other consequences that can be even worse:
- Points on your Driver’s License
- Possible License Revocation
- Increased insurance rates or cancelled insurance
These are all serious consequences – in fact Reckless Driving is more serious than a first offense DWI in New Mexico – carrying mandatory jail time for a first offense. The best thing you can do when charged with careless driving or reckless driving is to hire a top rated, experienced traffic lawyer to represent you. Attorney Glenn Smith Valdez is the lawyer you need when you are facing careless driving or reckless driving charges in New Mexico.Will I have to return to New Mexico for my careless driving or reckless driving citation?
Because Reckless Driving and Careless Driving tickets in New Mexico are traffic misdemeanors with possible jail time, they are more difficult for out of state and commercial drivers. Recent court rule changes make this even more confusing for traffic misdemeanors like careless and reckless driving. Traffic Attorney Glenn Smith Valdez knows and understands the complicated rules regarding personal appearances for traffic misdemeanors. Glenn has successfully used these rules and processes to keep his clients from having to appear in person for their traffic misdemeanor case. When you are an out of state or commercial driver, or even a New Mexico driver charged with careless or reckless driving, get New Mexico’s most experienced traffic lawyer to work on your case – He knows the court rules and can use them to avoid a costly, time consuming return to deal with your careless driving or reckless driving citation.
If you have any New Mexico Traffic Law case, Call Attorney Glenn Smith Valdez at (505)-877-8787.